Google+ Simple and delicious easy dinner |Forget dieting forever

Our recipes and tips for cooking from scratch. Find out how we lost weight too.

Thursday 9 June 2011

Simple and delicious easy dinner

Having just arrived home later than anticipated I am now starving. I managed to drive past many takeaways, as Thursday should be a good day. If I want a takeaway I can have one tomorrow. The cupboard is a little bare, but I have decided to make myself home-made oven chips with eggs. I could have gone to the chip shop, and got fish and chips, but my other half is away tonight, so I have no one to share it with. Still, I can whip up some lovely tasty chips in seconds.

Take a large potato (or two if you need). Cut this into quite large chunky chips. If you have time, put them into a saucepan and boil, simmer for about 3 mins, drain and pat dry. I'm not sure if this does anything other than cook them quicker. If you don't have time, don't worry. Next, put in a bowl and pour over enough oil to give them a good coating, and I mean a good coating. Not swimming in fat, just well coated so they don't stick to the baking tray. Season well, if you fancy something other than salt, then put it on - cajun etc, whatever takes your fancy. Put these in the oven, around 180c, and turn after 30 mins. Yes, they do take a while to cook, but you will find they are worth the wait.

I have a 250g potato. Now, a lot of people seem to shun potatoes when dieting, but they are so low in calories - 60 cals per 100g. So don't be afraid of the great potato, so nutritious and filling.

DO NOT use that awful diet substitute for oil, you know, that spray on stuff that comes out some horrid white colour and doesn't work. You want to be savouring gorgeous crispy, flavoursome chips, not soggy flavourless batons.

I have just perfected the "poached" egg. Fantastic. Take a small saucepan and fill with water. Bring to the boil, add a shot of vinegar (which brings down the boiling point) and set the pan to simmer. Crack the eggs into a small cup first, then drop them in the pan and DON'T TOUCH. In about 2 minutes they will look like lovely plump fluffy poached eggs. I may have 2 eggs tonight, as I am quite hungry. Grate some cheese on top to give them a beautiful flavour if you like. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

I am going to have some mushrooms and tomatoes with this meal - that way I will have a vegetarian meal. Also, the vegetables give the plate some colour, which is pleasing to look at, and makes me feel virtuous.

Total calories for this meal is (with 2 eggs) 380:

Chips (with oil) around 200 cals
Eggs are about 70 cals each
Mushrooms and tomatoes are just about free - let's say 40 cals, and that's done in the oven too, with a little spray of oil (I have this wonderful gadget that you can fill with good decent oil). If you haven't got a spray, just brush some oil on, or brush the tray.

Today has been a very good day, and I haven't eaten that much really. I have decided to have a slice of bread and butter (yes, real butter) so I can make a chip butty. The bread will be one of the most expensive calorific items, but I have plenty of room for it, so why not. My mouth is watering now, so I will leave you with that thought - which for me is going to be a reality very shortly! Oh, and one final note - this is homemade food, not processed (apart from the bread), so it is very healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...